Servings: This recipe yields 12-15 half pins.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cook time: 11 hours
Ready in: 11 hours and 30 mins
If you like apple butter, this is something you do not want to miss. It is very easy to make, and you can use tasty apple butter in your salad or breakfast.
- 5 1/2 pounds apples – peeled, cored and finely chopped. (apples during the harvest season preferred)
- 4 cups brown sugar (depending on the sweetness of your apples used and how sweet you like. I normally put 2 cups only)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (I prefer sea salt)
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.